Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I think she likes it here

This is why I wanted to do this. For these moments when I am blessed to actually be here for a happy moment with the kids. So many years of late nights, distracted dinners and interrupted vacations. I quality of my time with the kids has increased exponentially the last 30 days. We have so much talking to do, and I love hearing them develop opinions based on experience.

Today we were at a local nursery, Kings Garden. They have bedding plants and we actually bought the majority of our tomato plants from them. We were there for a few flowers to liven up the front entry (Paula's idea, of course) and the kids all came with and had an appreciation for the surroundings that I knwo they would not have had a month ago. In fact, when we were done, Jesse asked Annie (the owner) if he could walk through the garden to see the plants. I am sure that is a request he never would have made before. When they were done walking, he admired her patty pan squash and she gave him one!

We also had a visit from the local agriculture manager. I guess most of our apple trees are pretty infested with coddling moths so we have to destroy the fruit and wait till next year. We have a few trees that are minimally infected, and we have to start spraying those every week with alternating types of organic pesticide. He had a really great suggestion about starting a small, high density orchard with a variety of fruits for next year and the years to follow. It will be up on the discussion block, I think.

No comments: