Sunday, July 20, 2008

The view

Yesterday I spent the entire day in the garden. There are so many projects here that need attention, yet for me the garden addicting at a level I could have never predicted. I find a lot of pleasure in just sitting on ther damp ground, plucking the invading weeds until what remains is just the chocolately rich earth offering it's prize up; the single plant that has been given that spot as it's own.

The garden is large for a bunch of beginners, but I am anxious to expand it's borders. I envision the entire back hill covered in full beds of prolificly producing varieties of vegetables.

1 comment:

sande said...

Kailee, the purple pears as you called them are Seckel pears, a dessert pear, which means they are super sweet and not considered a good keepers. Although, if you pick them early enough (but not too early) you can refrigerate them for a while, them bring them out and let them ripen in the warm air. They are best canned or made into a pear sauce. Really ripe ones don't need anything but a bit of water added to help get them started. I found a website to start you off: http://www.usapears.com/pears/varieties_seckel.asp.
Hutch and I loved the Seckels. When they are ripe they are firm and juicy and wonderfully sweet.

I'm sorry to hear about the codling moth problem. We should've gotten started spraying them earlier this summer/late spring. Make sure you balance anything you hear from Dan with a conversation with Mariah. She is an organic grower, he is not. Also, Norm will know what to do also. You have all the spray equipment and much of the spray materials you'll need to get started. Just need some one to help figure it out, sorry I wasn't more informative about that stuff before leaving.
I love your blog. Especially the pictures. the kid's writing is great. I love hearing all your stories.