Monday, December 22, 2008

Woefully Unprepared

I have a recollection of warm summer days when I had a few extra dollars in pocket. I remember a conversation where I suggested, casually, that we should get boots, hats and coats BEFORE the cold weather hit. We all agreed. Summer turned to fall, and now fall has turned to winter. I called one of my friends and guiltily confessed to playing the role of the grasshopper in the "Grasshopper and the Ant" fable.

I have no excuse. Winter didn't come early, in fact it was late. We didn't get the plumbing doen for Gina's trailer. We didn't get straw bales around it so it would be tolerably warm. Now Gina is stuck staying in town with Ganny and Skyler, and Hugh and I are sleeping on the sofas in the living room since the bus is a frigid -3 degrees.

But I still love it here. What an amazing group of friends we have have been blessed with! I feel like I have known some of these folks for a very long time. I just hope I can bring half of the friendship and warmth they have shown me and my family back into their lives! Happy Monday.

1 comment:

Cheyla said...

You know, I have a different theory on the Grass-hopper and Ant story. See, I think that the Grass-hopper was just hopping along, minding his own business. Then the Ant came along carrying a big kernel of corn on it's back. "Here Ant, let me help you!" said the very kind and beautiful Grasshopper. "GO AWAY YOU UGLY HAG!!!" screamed the Ant. "THIS IS MY CORN!" The Grasshopper was so upset that he ran away and lived in kind and beautiful Grasshopper land forever. THE END.