Monday, August 4, 2008

Worlds Best Hound Dog

When I was a kid, we had several dogs, but none compared to Sampson. Sampson was my moms dog. He was a mixed breed, and I am not even sure what his pedigree consisted of. I know he was part Irish Setter and I think he had some lab or retriever in him. I remember he was beautiful, smart and that my mom loved him. We had a lot of pets, including dogs, over the years. My mom was always great at caring for them and even performed surgery on a lizard that had played the roll of a chew toy with one of our cats. Anyway, Sampson was very well behaved and he loved my mom right back. When he was still a puppy, he contracted distemper and we had to have him put down. We were all sad, but no one grieved like my mom. I was sad too, but I didn't understand the bond she had with her dog...until now.

Meet Ruby. She is a redbone coon hound. We picked her up in Seattle and she is now 5 months old. I just adore this little pup. She trots around the yard and chases birds away (and digs when she shouldn't and barks at the cats) but she just makes me smile every day! I love her big floppy ears and the way she cocks her head when I talk to her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooh! Ruby is super cute!