Monday, January 26, 2009

Sweet and Surprising

Dakota had his meeting with his consultant this morning. He also got his grades for the last semester. My goodness, I could not be prouder! He got A's in WA history, PE, Math, Math Interventions, an elective and a B in English! Thats a 3.83. He is setting the bar high for the other kiddos, we'll get that info this week, so stay tuned. Chey is taking to Spanish like you wouldn't believe, and I can no longer understand about 1/2 of what she says. Gabe's laptop contracted a nasty virus he is working on fixing, and I think Jess is just happy to be done with his Great Wonders project, which received a high A! (His mom is glad that's done, too!)

So far so good on my detox plan. Whats really funny is the thing I am craving most is artificail sweetener! Most of you who know me are aware that I have never thought of sweets as my weakness, I am more of a bread, cheese and butter kind of girl. However, those same folks know that I have been shamelessly addicted to energy boosting supplements for over a decade. For years, I took drops with a high ephedra content (until it was banned!). I used to pour a couple of Diet Squirts into a mason jar, load it with the energy drops and refill when it was empty. My desk always his a couple 12 packs of Diet Squirt. When I finally had to give that up, I switched to Diet Rock Star energy drinks. I would have at least 2 of the giant 32 oz ones every day. That was even more expensive than the drops had been. Then, Gina showed me that I could get a lot more bang for my buck with the Crystal light energy packets. They were only about $3 for 14 packets, which would last me for 3 or 4 days. Massive caffiene, almost no calories, how could that be bad. BTW, in Gina's defense, she bought them for herself, and did not like them- she was not trying to feed my bad habit.


Anyhow, if I calculate correctly, I have never skipped a day of energy drinks of some sort since the days of North Creek Heights, about 15 years ago! So all this time I thought I was addicted to caffiene and ephedra, and I think I was just as hooked on Aspartame or whatever they put in the drinks to sweeten them without calories.

I have no issues with energy, I feel great...I just wanna chug some diet soda...NOW. I am going to do some more research on why they are so bad (I have been told, it just seemed like the lesser of two evils) and that should motivate me to stick with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well between your post and a terrifying episode of oprah, i too have decided to make some changes and lose weight... Lots of weight.. we have to be in this together!!